Manila—(PHStocks)—After a two-day holiday, Philippine stocks close the second-to-the-last trading day of 2013 on a high note, buoyed by bullish projections for company results this year.
The mainboard Philippine Stock Exchange index (PSEi) gained 0.4% or 23.44 points to close at 5,878.32. The wider All-Shares index meanwhile went up by 0.27%.
Among the top gaining sectors were Property (+1.05%) and Mining and Oil (+1.03%). The Holding Firms sector, on the other hand, continued its decline, shedding a further 0.12%.
Trading was weak. Value turnover reached only PhP3.46 billion on 791 million. There were 76 gainers against 68 losers, while 45 stocks remained flat.
Overall, today’s index performance sort of sets the stage for a make-or-break scenario tomorrow: will the PSEi break past the 6,000 mark, or drop below last year’s closing of 5,812.73? It remains to be seen.
Top most active in terms of value:
- Ayala Land Inc. (PSE: ALI): PhP24.65, 1.44%
- Metropolitan Bank & Trust Co. (PSE: MBT): PhP75.15, 0.07%
- BDO Unibank Inc. (PSE: BDO): PhP69.50, -0.57%
- SM Investments Corp. (PSE: SM): PhP713.00, -0.49%
- Philippine Long Distance Telephone Co. (PSE: TEL): PhP2,662.00, 0.83%
- Aboitiz Power Corp. (PSE: AP): PhP33.80, 0.90%
- Ayala Corp. (PSE: AC): PhP516.50, -0.48%
- Universal Robina Corp. (PSE: URC): PhP117.00, 1.65%
- Metro Pacific Investments Corp. (PSE: MPI): PhP4.26, -0.47%
- Manila Water Co. Inc. (PSE: MWC): PhP22.00, -1.35%
- Leisure and Resorts World Corp. Warrants (PSE: LRW): PhP0.64, 700.00%
- I-Remit Inc. (PSE: I): PhP2.90, 16.00%
- Marcventures Holdings Inc. (PSE: MARC): PhP2.92, 10.19%
- IP E-Game Ventures Inc. (PSE: EG): PhP0.013, 8.33%
- Victorias Milling Co. Inc. (PSE: VMC): PhP1.97, 8.24%
- South China Resources Inc. (PSE: SOC): PhP1.09, 7.92%
- Solid Group Inc. (PSE: SGI): PhP1.16, 7.41%
- Prime Media Holdings Inc. (PSE: PRIM): PhP1.55, 6.90%
- Philippine Savings Bank (PSE: PSB): PhP131.00, 6.50%
- Asia Amalgamated Holdings (PSE: AAA): PhP2.00, 6.38%
- Alphaland Corp. (PSE: ALPHA): PhP23.00, -18.44%
- Ionics Inc. (PSE: ION): PhP0.32, -14.67%
- Lorenzo Shipping Corp. (PSE: LSC): PhP1.27, -14.19%
- ATN Holdings Inc. “B” (PSE: ATNB): PhP1.12, -13.85%
- Manila Mining Corp. “B” (PSE: MAB): PhP0.014, -12.50%
- ATN Holdings Inc. “A” (PSE: ATN): PhP1.10, -12%
- Imperial Resources Inc. “A” (PSE: IMP): PhP4.50, -9.64%
- 2GO Group Inc. (PSE: 2GO): PhP1.70, -8.60%
- Greenergy Holdings Inc. (PSE: GREEN): PhP0.011, -8.33%
- NextStage Inc. (PSE: NXT): PhP2.02, -8.18%